Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Update: Vacations, Business Trips, and Fitting in Some Writing

My rate of posting has slowed down in recent days, what with Thanksgiving and then a week long vacation.  And I had a business trip thrown in there, as well.  It was a very productive trip, but I was working on science education from morning until night, with no opportunity for a little posting on the side.

All this has also impacted my writing schedule.  Vacations aren't something to gripe about, of course.  I think most of us who are writers tend to be Type A, and it is easier to do a working vacation than to take real time off.  So it is good to encourage ourselves to try to really unplug once in a while (even though I'm supposed to be 'unplugged' right now ...)  But the last month did see the production of two new drafts of sci-fi short stories, and part of a draft for a horror short story.  But I still need to get them finalized and cleaned up before diving into formal editing. 

My NaNoWriMo final count was 58K.  I was on pace for about 75K of material, which would have finished the novel, but then Thanksgiving reared its head.  I don't mind writing a lot of material in one day, so long as I basically have it already scripted in my head.  But I don't like to put down complete garbage text that's just going to get hacked out in the edits, anyway.  Still, I think that once I get it cleaned up and reading for editing, it will have enough of the good stuff to be a real draft novel.  Not sure how to target it, thought, since it bridges several genres.  But that's a problem for after it's written and edited.

I've also been examining a few new avenues for learning and networking.  Professional conferences and societies are great places for a scientist to keep up on the latest, to report new work, and stay in touch with colleagues.  But I have not tried to do the same as a creative writer.  I've been looking into what societies and conferences are key in my genres of sci-fi, fantasy, and even horror.  I've also been looking into general writing workshops in order to hone my editing skills.

And in the mean time I've been distracted by Avatar movie advertisements.  I don't usually run out to see a new movie until lots of reviews have come in.  But I think I might see this one early just for the eye-candy factor.  And as always, I'm wondering if it will be anywhere as good as the hype.  Which given the level of hype, might make that completely impossible.

Pax

Image Credit: 

No comments: