Saturday, November 14, 2009

Update: Back to Writing, Again and Always

The last several days have been difficult, with ups and downs galore.  Writing is my passion, and nothing can stop me from writing for long.  Yet, sometimes it seems there are barriers in the way every time I try to sit down.

I long for the moments where I can 'just write'.  So much like the Zen meditation ideal to 'just sit.'  (Or 'just anything' for that matter.)

I've made some very good progress on my novel for NaNoWriMo; I'm already up over 40K words, and only half the month has gone by.  Even better, I'm pretty happy with how the draft is turning out.  It will need substantial edits, of course, every draft does, but it won't need a major rewrite to get it into readable condition.  I'm glad I chose a story that was totally unconnected with my massive Sci-Fi universe.  This is a wonderfully self contained project.  One book, one idea, one story.  I don't have to worry about continuity through millions of words of writing (which is what I have already produced for the series, so far).  Just one book, beginning to end.  It is wonderful to be able to be focused like that.

I've been able to keep up, more or less, with my blogging as well.  In addition to this new blog, I've been writing another blog on a totally unrelated topic for about a year and a half.  That has been both very enjoyable and very useful in a host of ways: as a means to get ideas down in one place, as a motivation for doing research into topics that interest me, to get occasional feedback, and to work through any issues that have me stuck.  That blog was a huge motivation for me to start this one, since it has been a really good experience.

I've also been doing some research into how to better serve the community of people I'm interested in, that is, writers and readers of science fiction and fantasy.  I'm already a part of the community as a reader, a consumer, and that entry point is easy.  But getting involved as a writer, a provider, is quite different.  As a consumer, I know exactly where to go to get what I want to read and watch.  I'm only beginning to learn where I as a writer need to go to find the resources I need to write and publish in the way I truly wish.

So update: one novel chugging along, blogs chugging, some research going down, and as always, the occasional work on my big universe.  Haven't written any poetry in a while, but that's a different part of the brain.  I don't want to disengage my full-steam-ahead novel circuits at the moment.

Up and out

No comments: